Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cast Off....Cast On....and We Ain't Talkin Bout Knitin.....












Ok…so TWO weeks from today, we leave Rwanda for our first trip back home!! SCORE!! Actually, as excited as I am to get back to see friends and family…..and let’s be real…sushi, cheese dip, WATERMELON,  Izzy’s and some good old BBQ, I really have gotten into quite a good place here. In fact, EVERYONE needs to be praying as HARD AS YOU CAN that Christine has that baby just a few days early. I honestly can’t hardly stand the thought that I won’t be with her when baby Elizabeth is born.  Because if I’m not here, she will be alone….THAT, breaks my heart!!  She and I have developed such a close, almost mother/daughter, relationship…actually, she is just a year older than Brit, so there you have it! I am going to miss her soooo much when we are gone….along with the rest of our staff, but especially her!! I am also happy to report that our night guard, Kiza, and his wife, Chantal, are expecting their second baby in January...man...babies galore :)

Now…when I had my cast put on, the doctor said to keep the cast on 2-3 weeks. Well, yesterday was two weeks exactly, so over to the hospital we haul to have this sucker cut on off. Ya know….it was feeling pretty good….and Lord knows I was ready to be done. So…they pull out the trusty cast cutteroffer  and go to it (see photo, to which I want to add a disclaimer  - REALLY dude REALLY…you have make me smile when some Rwandan dude has a saw on my leg) (Oh…and I also want you to note that my signature Strawberry Margarita nail polish is back on the toes I could get to…I’m mean really…a girl’s gotta do, what a girls gotta do). Oh, oh, but it gets better….”Rwandan dude with saw” actually got  through the fiberglass quite well, but there is this material they put under a fiberglass cast that needs to be cut through with scissors…ummmm…yeah…novel  idea…having a pair of scissors in a HOSPITAL…so, NOOOO, can't find any scissors…so he comes back with a razor blade…no joke…a razor blade and starts cutting…at which point I start TEARING at this stuff like there is no tomorrow…I think he got the point rather quickly to keep the razor blade away from MOI!! So, we get the cast off and gotta say, after two weeks, I was, frankly, expecting the swelling to be mostly gone…foot to look pretty good…not so much there either…it was still swelled pretty good and black and blue…and holy cow, did it ever hurt. At this point I also want to point out that the cutest boy in the world, having had a cast or two in his day, did try to warn me that the minute they took the thing off, I would say, “Put it back on”. Did I believe him…of course not…well, let me just say, I do now. We were also fairly strategic in that we had “Rwandan dude with saw” cut down both sides of the cast so that if my ankle wasn’t quite ready for freedom, we could simply put it back on and ace bandage it closed. I tried to gut it out a few hours, but clearly, it was a no go, cause as I type, I have that cast back on my leg…I think I’ll give it a few more days and see how we do. The nice thing about this though, is that I was able to take it off this morning to take my shower and not have to be some sort of contortionist just to get clean and keep my cast dry! So…we’ll see what the next week or so holds. After my shower I did try moving my ankle a little…cause really, the LAST thing I want is to be on crutches on the plane RIDES home!! OY VEY!!

I also posted some photos of our garden…the zucchini (the biggest), cantaloupe and watermelon are doing well, as are the tomaters and basil….my girls and I are having MORE fun with this garden. I can’t even tell you!!







We are a little worried about Pete…didn’t hear him all day today. Not that I’m complaining, but on that note, I did see the BIGGEST bird I have ever seen…like a Velociraptor….NO KIDDING…SOOO…either Pete was "what's for dinner" over there, or the biggest bird in the world got him!! I’ll keep you posted. Fifi is also still at it every single night as well, and well, we have added a new animal to our menagerie….just call us Dr. and Mrs. Doolittle….a cat, which has been hanging out and meowing ALL the time. He/She? sticks pretty close to the compost, so I have aptly named it Nom Nom….as in… this food is so good.…nomnomnomnom….we figure if it eats out of the compost…fine….even better…goes after the combo squirrel/rat (or squrats, as I like to call them) things we have here…then stay as long as you like Nom Nom!!

Lastly…please continue to keep the Wardlaw and Parkinson families in your prayers, also, for us, as we get through a BUSY next two weeks (and only three good legs between us), and try to get ready to leave.  Till next week…TTFN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment